Nov 3, 2015

Lecture 17

Today we moved on to LabVIEW. My laptop is dead, so I could not bring it to work on. I will be observing classmates' experiences with LabVIEW.LabVIEW is a lot more visual and user-friendly than MATLAB. I like the visual aspect of it but it doesn't seem like we will be doing much coding (which is what I am primarily interested in). Because I cannot take screenshots, I will be typing solutions and explanations to the practice exercises here. Start a new VI (visual instrument).

Edit: I'm sharing a laptop with Edgar so I can have screenshots now.

Practice exercise: familiarizing with the functions palette
Add -> functions palette -> Numeric group
Wait -> functions palette -> Timing group
Dial numeric control -> Numeric group
Toggle switch -> Boolean group

Creating a VI: build a simple VI that has a toggle switch with an LED indicator that illuminates when the switch is "on".
First drag a light LED and a toggle switch to the front panel. Connect the two with a wire and run continuously. There are alignment options at the top of the front panel. AND/OR can be used for these "wires". Input goes into the back and output goes out the front.


Creating a Division VI; Using while loops: