Nov 17, 2015

Lecture 21

LEDs:
We were given 4 LEDs with some wiring (not really sure how to describe that?). Binary numbers come into play here. Numbers 0 through 15 (in binary) correspond to the 4 lights, with 0 being off and 1 being on. I am familiar with binary but not wiring or using lights. I wish i had a picture, but I didn't take one. A large knob is used to change the pattern number to see what the lights do in response to changing the DCU pattern. The lights on the front panel corresponded to the lights in real life. It was interesting to see binary actually do something outside of the computer.



Next we were to wire a VI that would simulate the light display on the Knight Rider car (I like to think of it as a Cylon eye instead).




We were able to control which lights came on and when. Frank and I thought of different ways to do it using arrays and other unnecessary, complicated ideas, but we ended up using a sequence to cycle through the necessary DCU patterns. The first part of the sequence turns on each light individually and consecutively and the second part of the sequence does the same thing in reverse order. The lights on the front panel show the same pattern.

I am awaiting Frank's e-mail containing the VI, but I may not receive this in time. I have a screenshot of Edgar's VI, but it is called "KnightRiderFail" so I don't think this wiring worked.


We also discussed motors but I was confused... I'll just leave that part to Frank.